Making your MD visit smooth…
I’d like to do a little series of posts about how make a visit with your doctor smooth and more pleasant for everyone. This would be even more imporant if your doc is not familiar with the CrossFit or paleo lifestyle.
Some of the biggest mistakes that I see people make when they visit me are:
1. Too vague. People in general have a hard time remembering the details of their problem or condition.
2. They do not remember their past. Really. People have a hard time remembering when and where things have occurred. It is not uncommon that someone will forget which arm they broke when they were 15.
3. They do not know what they want from me. No goal for treatment. Just blindly hoping that I will have a good idea.
4. People tend to rush into the details without a big picture. I have to slow people down a lot in clinic and have them back up, so that I can learn a bigger picture of their condition. I really want to know what happened in the past that set you up for whatever ailment occurred.
There are already plenty of posts on getting the most out of your doc. And also about specific treatments for many diseases. But I’d like to put together a series of handouts that could be filled out before you get to the physician or physical therapist.
Here are some common symptoms that I will end up creating a Smooth MD visit form for:
– Chronic cough after hard training block
– Shoulder pain
– Acid reflux
– “I think I have ADD”
– Seasonal Allergies
For which topics do you suggest that I create this easy form?