Pages Menu
TwitterFacebook
Categories Menu

Teaching

I always told people that if I had had two lives, then I would have spent the second one as a college professor instead of a physician. Lucky for me, my dream has come true! I get to do both. As a faculty member with the Department of Family and Preventive Medicine at the University of Utah I have teaching responsibilities with both residents and medical students.

Family Medicine Clerkship Director

The Family Medicine Clerkship is a required course for all medical students. This is the main opportunity to see how medicine is practiced in the community. Most of our students’ education takes place at the academic medical center. For our 4 weeks, the students are placed within family medicine clinics. The students are introduced to  elements of the health care delivery system in the community which support and complement the services provided by the primary care physician. Students will spend 80% of their time in clinical activities, including office, hospital, nursing home, and home visits with their preceptors. The remaining 20% will consist of time spent learning and experiencing other elements of the health care system in the preceptor’s community (hospital, medical staff issues, public health agencies, occupational and environmental health risks), as well as independent study.

Primary Care Track Director

As a component of the new medical student curriculum, our senior students now select a Track designation. Our students then spend parts of their last year gaining experience and education, which will preapare them for a residency program from their respective areas. Traditionally the senior year of medical school has been somewhat open for students to schedule. Some would schedule rigorous schedules well-designed as preparation for residency, while other students had years which had less preparation. My vision for the Primary Care Track is:

The students in the primary care track are knowledgeable and passionate residents focused on the health of patients and communities. They succeed through patient-centered care with a deep understanding of the potential success of preventive care.

 Family Medicine Resident Education

I spend a more limited amount of time helping to education our family medicine residents. My primary responsibility is attending residents while they are in clinic. The residents each have their own set of patients whom they see regularly. I provide support for the residents in clinic once a week.